WHAT GOD HAS JOINED
Jesus quoting the Old Testament said: “What God has joined, let not man separate” (Matthew 19:6 NIV). He was referring to the man and the woman whom He had created (Genesis 13).
He made the woman for the man to be his companion and helper, not to be separated except by death (Genesis 1:27; 3:16; I Cor 7:10).
The Bible teaches us that God joined other things also, not to be separated by man:
1. God joined Christ to the church of Christ, His bride. “He is the head of the body, the church” (Col 1:18). They must not be separated. He is not the head of any denomination of men.
2. God joined these to the Old Testament law of Moses before Christ’s death: animal sacrifice, the 7th day Sabbath, circumcision and worship with mechanical instruments.
3. God joined the Lord’s Supper to the Lord’s Day (Sunday) and no man has authority to separate them by observance on any other day of the week, nor at any other frequency (Acts 20:7; I Cor 11:17-32).
4. God joined acappella singing to Christian worship (Eph 5:19; Col 3:16). Let not man add mechanical instruments, clapping or dancing, etc.
5. God joined baptism (immersion) to forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38; Mark 16:16; Acts 22:16).
6. God joined truth and freedom (John 8:32).
7. God joined Bible study to being a disciple (2 Tim 2:15). NEW BOOK NOW PRINTED: Over 350 Paper Pulpit sermons! Contact us for information.