Billy, you have told me that you are a Baptist. That is one of the most popular denominations in our country. Many of my friends are Baptists. Did you know that …
1. The words “Baptists,” “Baptist Church” and “a Baptist” are terms not in the Bible. The Baptist Church was begun in London in 1607 by John Smyth (Benedict, History of Baptists, p 304). The largest branch is Southern Baptists (16 million in USA, Wikipedia).
2. Baptists are Calvinistic (believe in predestination, eternal security, etc), following the doctrines of John Calvin (1509-1564), “once saved, always saved,” etc.
3. Baptists teach that the church was established during the ministry of John the Baptist. After John was beheaded, Jesus said “I WILL (future) build my church.” (Mt 16:18)
4. Baptists teach that faith ALONE saves. The Bible says faith alone is “dead.” (Jas 2:17-24)
5. Baptists teach salvation is BEFORE baptism. The Bible says obedience in baptism is necessary to be saved. (Mk 16:16; Acts 2:38; 22:16; Gal 3:27)
6. Baptists worship with instruments of music. The Bible authorizes only singing and warns not to add to God’s word (Col 3:16; Eph 5:19; Rev 22:18-19). Must worship “in truth” (Jn 4:24), and not add to God’s perfect pattern (Rev 22:18-19; Heb 8:4-6).
7. Baptists observe the Lord’s Supper once a month or whenever the Pastor says. The Bible says Christians observed it “on the first day of the week” (Acts 20:7; I Cor 16:1-2; 11:17-22).
Ask for list of dates of 39 denominations origin.