THE BIBLE: WHY IS IT MISUNDERSTOOD?
“Blessed is the man whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night” (Psa 1:1-2). “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path”
(Psa 119:105). “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (Jn 8:32). “Your word is truth” (Jn 17:17). “These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ…” (Jn 20:31). Also see 2 Tim 2:15; 3:16-17;
2 Pet 1:3.
Reasons the Bible is misunderstood:
1. Haphazard reading. Reading at any place it may happen to fall open can be confusing. Was Christ crucified 4 times? Was Paul killed, then still preaching?
2. Studying ABOUT the Bible instead of the Bible. Reading many books about the Bible,
a person can still wonder about “What must I do to be saved?”
3. We do not apply the Bible to ourselves rightly. Not all the Bible is for us to obey today. We must rightly “handle the Word”
(2 Tim 2:15) and know that the new testament, not the old testament is our law for today (Gal 3:24-25; Jn 1:17).
4. Lack of respect for proper authority. Jesus now has all authority (Mt 17:1-5; Heb 1:1-2 Mt 28:18-20).
5. Prejudice. Our mind is already made up before we read the Bible.